Saturday 14 May 2011

A tribute to mi familia...

Am freshly back from a lovely (though emotionally intense) family reunion in Villasimius, Italy. By family reunion I refer to my family's usage of the term - my parents, brother and I.  No sisters, nieces, nephews, second cousins and whatnot for me, just my tiny, but wonderfully close-knit family of 4.

Living abroad for most of my adult life has meant that I see my immediate family once a year, twice if I am lucky. I see my extended family - uncle, cousin and aunt (yes, my family is that small) even less, once every few years. As much as I appreciate and adore international life style, I must admit that being  physically separated from my family so often has been the most painful of sacrifices. Regardless of the miles and time that tears us apart however, my parents and brother remain my most dedicated and supportive friends. My parents have raised me not just as their daughter, but as their confidant; their most trusted friend. My brother, though he is 3 years my junior, watches over, protects and loves me like an older brother would his baby sister. I love my family for the love they've given me. I am consistently finding myself overwhelmed with a deep sense of gratitude as I realize time and time again that I can go to them with even the most private of concerns. Love you guys...so much.

1 comment:

  1. am sure they do appreciate and also hold you in high regard, just as you do, them.

    ReplyDelete