Thursday 9 February 2012

Swift winds of change

Gosh, I haven't updated this thing in ages. Sorry for that, folks. Not sure if anybody reads this anymore, but since I've a bit of time on my hands these days (and fast internet), I'll update regardless.
I won't go into the personal details, but the past month or so has been one of the most trying periods of my life. Work has served as a sort of detox, but my thoughts have very much been on more personal matters, family matters, relationship matters...on my most recent ride in Rwanda, I felt like I was there physically, but that my mind and spirit were far away, dashing back and forth between Nairobi and home. And then the unexpected happened. Life screeeeched to a halt and sped up all at the same time. Kigali, Nairobi, Dubai, NYC, Albany...and at long last, home - where I needed to be. 

Most of us are aware that Life is never static, it constantly changes, presents us with new challenges, opportunities and windows of hope. We are told time and time again that we better appreciate those around us, especially our loved ones, but how many of us are really as grateful as we should be? One of my closest friends once wrote me a very tear-filled letter after the death of her father. She advised me that I should never go to bed angry with the ones I love. "Always forgive and make up," she urged. I'd advise people to take that one step further, especially those who do not see their loved ones (especially family) often (like us expats living abroad). Don't put off that that phone call home. Don't tell yourself, I'll write my brother as soon as I get a chance, tomorrow or this weekend. Don't get angry with your significant other for petty things. Appreciate them, love them, write to them, call them TODAY...don't wait till tomorrow when you may not still have a chance.  

I am one of the lucky ones. I live literally on the other side of the world from my family, my country, the way of life I know best. I'm guilty of not staying in touch as often as I should and traveling elsewhere when I know my mom would rather I just come home. And yet, my family still loves me as if I were at their dining room table yesterday. When I come home, there is a spot for me in their lives that will never be filled by another - I am still my brother's best friend, my father's confidant and my mother's baby girl. This realization fills me with more overwhelming sadness and gratitude than I can explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment