Sunday 1 December 2013

Pain free!

The sciatic nerve pain has completely disappeared - thank God! The solution? Dr. Stower - a chiropractor recommended by a friend and former colleague of mine who is also in her final trimester and experiencing pain from pinched nerves. Dr. Stower has apparently worked with countless pregnant women and is therefore very familiar with the special treatment our condition demands. I was pleased to note that her clinic boasts a special chiropractic bed that easily adjusts to fit a pregnant woman's shape. How odd (yet thrilling) it was to be able to lay on my stomach after eight months! She started out my hour plus appointment by asking me several questions about my pregnancy and the pain I had been feeling. She then helped me go through a series of stretches, chatting along the way to help me feel at ease. Stretching was followed by 20-30 minutes of electric stimulation with one patch placed on my lower back and another placed on my left hip. Electric stim was followed by a hot towel on my hip and lower back for 15 minutes and then the affixing of this Japanese tape that, it left on the skin for at least five days, lifts the skin away from the flesh beneath and thus relieves pain. 

The entire session with Dr. Stower was 3,500 Kenyan Shillings (~$40). I did end up removing the Japanese tape after a day because of my stubborn latex allergy, but am able to boast that less than two days later, I was completely pain free. My sweet baby did decide to lay her head on my other sciatic nerve for a  time there, but has been good enough to do only do so for a couple hours before settling back to the middle of my womb where she's best positioned for delivery. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment