Thursday 27 February 2014

Thank God for Internet: Dad reunites with his granddaughter

Spoke to my father tonight via Skype video. Dad got to see his granddaughter right there in front of him - how amazing is technology these days to allow families to converse face-to-face despite being on completely different continents? I recall that during my first year abroad - when I was 15 years old - my family and I had to rely on the postal system and landlines to communicate. At the time, we were grateful for the communication we had, but how awful would it be now to go back in time and have to rely on such slow and basic correspondence? Back in those days, I used to be a master letter writer, sending postcards to my friends and family every chance I got. Indeed, my mother has a shoebox full of letters from that first year abroad. These days we send multiple e-mails to each other every week. Not as nice as getting a letter that you can touch and hold perhaps, but definitely a hundred times better than having to wait weeks for a letter to arrive with news that became old hat the day after it was sent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment